Resin or Acrylic Gel Mediums?

Anyone can read and search for topics but only registered members can post new topics and responses
shawniemar

Resin or Acrylic Gel Mediums?

Postby shawniemar » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:13 am

I am wondering if anyone out there has attempted to use the metal Thingmaker molds to make creepy crawlers out of polyurethane resin (casting resin) or simply using acrylic paint mixed with any of the gel mediums out there. There is one medium in particular, Golden's Clear Tar Gel, that makes a very pliable, rubbery glob when poured and left to cure. You can mix the lovely Golden transparent acrylics with them and end up with these lovely transparent objects that are very similar to the cooked Goop, only the nice thing is, these cure in the air. They are also permanent and archival, when coated with a varnish. I am thinking of trying to pour this mix into one of the molds to see what comes out--I will then adhere them to my works on canvas or wood.

I also like to use resin in my work, and I wondered if I used a spray release agent in the metal mold, if resin would pop out when it's cured. Does anyone have any wisdom in this area?

What I am trying to avoid is ruining the lovely old metal Thingmaker molds. I either want to use them successfully, or I want to sell them. I'm afraid if I try either process, it may damage the mold.

Thanks a million!

plasticmelter

Re: Resin or Acrylic Gel Mediums?

Postby plasticmelter » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:51 am

I have used resins, the two part type that you add color to, to make really nice replicas of creepies in the THINGMAKER 2 molds. The plastic circular molds work well when used with the mold release spray. It's the resin you can buy at Michael's and Hobby Lobby. I never used the metal molds.

shawniemar

Postby shawniemar » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:26 am

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to hear from someone. I know you can use resin in metal molds, so I might just use one of the molds that I like the least and give it a whirl, using the spray of course. I think you're talking about Envirotex, which is what I use (from Michaels.

sciboy33

Postby sciboy33 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Yep. polyurethane works great from formerly Vagabond in Calif. now GlenMarc Systams out of Chicago,Ill. Just remember to use a spray mold release, I use Price-Driscoll (Pd) Ultra -4 urethane parafilm release, pour resin or use disposable syringes to carefully fill delicate molds. I demold while still warm and somewhat pliable as when totally cold they seem too hard especially on the small stuff anyway you can buy pin backers and embed into resin as it cures, mine is a 3-5 min cure, and wear creepys !!! sciboy33

Return to “Message Board”