Thingmaker II again hehe

Archives

Thingmaker II again hehe

Postby Archives » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:48 pm

CreepingDead

06/30/08 at 02:51 PM Reply with quote #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just won an unused Thingmaker II on eBay. My cousin had one when I was a kid and I've wanted that thing ever since. I've read some of the old posts here concerning the Thingmaker II and was wondering if anyone ever figured out a goop substitute? I think I've got an idea for one.
I make rubber halloween masks and I'm 100% sure that mask latex would work in those plastic molds. Downside would be the long cure time (I'm estimating at least 6 hours) and about 10% shrinkage, which really isn't too bad. Upside is the finished product could be painted with acrylics.
I'll let you know how it goes once I get the molds.

Archives

Re: Thingmaker II again hehe

Postby Archives » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:50 pm

CreepingDead

07/06/08 at 08:31 AM Reply with quote #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the verdict is....

It works!

Only problem is it takes multiple mold fills and 3 days to dry! LOL!
Attachments
archive70.jpg

Archives

omnichi
07/09/08 at 08:39 AM Reply with quote #3

Still very nice despite the cure time. Where do you get the plastic?

Archives

plasticmelter

09/23/08 at 11:26 AM Reply with quote #4

I have had success using the resin kits that Michael's and Hobby Lobby sell... to make resin jewelry. They are the EASY CAST ITEMS.... They are on the same aisle as the plastic molds for the resin to make cochobons, amulets and pendants out of the plastic. It's important that you spend the 4 bucks on mold release however. It helps the resin pop out of the Creepy Crawler II molds easily. Otherwise, it just bonds to the plastic. (Won't Work the resin sticks with the NICK THingmaker Items EVEN with mold release) I want to get a group of the fun flowers II molds and try them eventually. The resin comes in lots of color dyes to choose from. You put two clear resins together (like epoxy) and then put in the dye (you have to stir it a lot!), pour it into a mold that's been sprayed with their brand of mold release and in about an hour or so depending on thickness of the mold, a critter comes out. They are hard and not soft like most all creepies but do look nice.
Burt

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”