Artisans of the thingmaker molds

Archives

Artisans of the thingmaker molds

Postby Archives » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:57 pm

jasond
09/11/08 at 05:59 PM Reply with quote #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever happened to the original artists who created creepy crawlers, giant creepy crawlers, dragons ect.

Did they work in the US at the time? Are their identities lost forever? Are they dead or alive? Did they ever get any credit or did they labor in obscurity for their brief lives?

Jason

Archives

Re: Artisans of the thingmaker molds

Postby Archives » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:57 pm

Edouglass

09/11/08 at 08:35 PM Reply with quote #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats a good one,, Ive seen stuff on the internet about Artist's who did like, "Wacky Packages" and model covers like from, Weird-O's, or Big Daddy Roth stuff,, but Ive never heard anything about who were the artist's for the box art work or for the molds, but I would suspect the molds were made in Asia, and the box art made here,,
But thats a good one to research,,
Ed

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:58 pm

jasond
09/12/08 at 11:37 AM Reply with quote #3

In the sixties wasn't Mattel doing most of their stuff design, manufacturing ect in the United States. Or had the progression to cheap labor already started.

In my mind part of the charm of vintage Thingmaker products was that it was made here in the States. Maybe I'm under the wrong impression.

Where would I go to get the info? Or are most of the people who worked at Mattel at the time now dead

Anyhow whoever did it needs to get credit for doing it.

Jason

Archives

Edouglass

09/12/08 at 12:02 PM Reply with quote #4

Well Flip over some Mattel Hot Wheels from the sixties,, you be hard pressed not to find one that doesnt says Hong Kong on the bottom,, Most of the high production metal products came from Hong Kong,,,
Find the artist's,, just start googling,,, Im gonna do some searches later, just tied up right now,, and maybe even contact Mattel directly,, or look up Ruth Handler, I think thats the name,, the lady who invented Mattel Barbie, maybe find some people who worked for Mattel in the 60's,,
ED

Archives

Edouglass

09/12/08 at 12:43 PM Reply with quote #5

Well I did find this,, http://www.redlineprotos.com/Otto%20Kuhni/otto.htm
artist Otto Kuhni worked for Mattel in the 60's,,

Archives

jasond
09/12/08 at 04:38 PM Reply with quote #6

Great little site about Ruth Handler here http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventors/handler.htm

But unfortunately she died in 2002, and along with her death all the knowledge about Mattel died with her. She actually invented the Barbie fascinating reading really.

But why is the thingmaker relagated to the back roads of history when it really is a toy that rocks that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike.

Thanks for all the help. I just don't like the Thinkmaker being considered a blip in the history of toys. Just not right.

Jason

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:59 pm

dr_goop

09/12/08 at 05:05 PM Reply with quote #7

In the 60's Mattel used several diffferent foundries for the Thingmaker molds. At one time several years ago I had traced one back to California. If you look on the back of the molds you can see the foundries' markings.

Archives

Gooday31
11/29/09 at 07:43 PM Reply with quote #8

I was referred to Jason's comment of 9-11-08 by a Thingmaker collector. Jason asked who the original artists were who designed the Thingmakers.
I joined Mattel in 1963 from the Eldon toy makers, in order to invent and design new toys. This was when Mattel was looking for new Boys' toys, since they were so strong with Barbie. With that in mind they had bought the Vac-U-Form idea from the Marvin Glass Organization. Since I am a plastics engineer I knew how to use the Vac-U-Form heater to extend this idea into something even bigger, such as molding plastic toys. I started off by designing the Vac-U-Maker, combining vacuum forming with molding "Creepies". Mattel had greaqt artists who helped a lot. At the same time I designed "Creepy Crawlers", which also hit the market in 1965 and was a tremendous success. Other serts followed in the coming years. It's along story. Luckily I saved all the Mattel catalogs with Thingmakers in them, even some foreign ones. I sod almost all the Thingmaker sets and components I have, since at my age it makes no sense to keep them any longer.
Edgar Burns

Archives

Builder

12/07/09 at 08:36 PM Reply with quote #9

Thanks so much Edgar, for coming out of the wood work. I think I may have been the one who prompted you to post. These are truly wonderful toys. What could be more fun than toys that can make other toys! The information about the people that helped create these toys should not be lost! Thanks again!

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”