Goop Stories,,, any old stories you can tell,,

Archives

Goop Stories,,, any old stories you can tell,,

Postby Archives » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:54 pm

Edouglass
02/04/06 at 02:08 PM
Reply with quote #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First story,, is I had a friend who had like every mold available around 1968, and I remember making a yellow woodstock bird letting it cure,, then making a Charlie brown with a clear head and placing the bird inside while it was cooking,,,
The same kid also had a vacumeform and we made masters up so we could make Star Trek enterprises,, and then we made the whole fleet,,
Next story,, I remember going to JC Penneys and buying Root Beer Gobbledee goop in like a tooth past tube,, came home went over a friends house and we made edibles,, in regular molds,, with the edible goop,, (yea no wonder why Im sick),,, to this day I still remember the intense root beer taste,, that kid also was able to do what ever he wanted and had wcaky packages stickers all over his fridge,,, Oh the 60's,,,

Archives

Re: Goop Stories,,, any old stories you can tell,,

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:26 am

artboy
02/05/06 at 09:01 AM
Reply with quote #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ah the 60’s……My earliest Goop memory is the trouble I had cooling the molds off after taking them from the Thingmaker. I was always in a rush to get onto the next thing, so I would just sit the hot mold down on the little desk I had next to my bed. I had a line of burn marks going around the desk. Fortunately for my parents (and my butt), I finally got the hang of putting the molds into the cooling tray with water in it. Hey, give an 8 year old an oven to play with, and that’s what ya get!

It’s very interesting , my life with Goop started the same year I got hooked on my favorite television show, Lost In Space. I can remember watching that show and making Creepy Crawlers at the same time. I had an Aurora model of the Robot that I mounted on a board. I put sand on the board and put the bugs I created all over the sand - it was very cool.

I remember I was big into putting wire into the bugs so I could bend the legs. It was always a challenge for me to not have the wire poke out of Goop after it was baked.

It’s amazing the flood of memories that come back when you start to think about it……

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:28 am

Edouglass
02/18/06 at 12:23 PM
Reply with quote #3

Monster maker story,,, my mom would get all of my xmas gifts from the Sears catalog,,
and they would usually go up town and pick stuff up,, but I guess it was 1969,, I wanted the Monster maker set,, it was special from Sears had Dr Shriek in it also,,
and for some reason they shipped it to our house,, it was probably a week before Xmas,, my mom was so busy making dinner that when a delivery guy came to the door, I answered it, he handed me the monster maker set,, no other packaging and there was a hole in the top of the box,, I rushed into the house, excited that my set I asked Santa for was here,, my mom quickly took it away, and said it must be a mistake, this was delivered by accident to the wrong address,,, and I didnt see it ,, until Xmas,, and there was the same box with a hole in the top,,, So much for believing in santa,,,
I recently bought a 1969 Sears catalog,, that shows this set,, beside OG it also had Dr Shriek,,
Attachments
archive1.jpg

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:29 am

stlewisram
03/18/06 at 01:41 AM
Reply with quote #4

Ed, Not really an old goop story, but something new that I decided to try with old equipment. I have a few of the old Johnny Toymaker sets; Johnny Speed car, truck, fire truck, boat, and bug, plus a few accessory packs. I decided to see if creepy crawler goop would work for just the bug, which is a large tarantula-like spider. I didn't try it with the vehicles, as it would be too rubbery. I first detailed the eyes, fangs, and claws with goop fx, and then filled the mold as per the old instructions. It worked great. My boys and I made three different bugs with the old set. We've made a lot of creepy crawlers, but these are their favorites. I just had to try one of the old sets until the superplastic is ready, and it was worth it. The bug is about three times the size of the creepy crawler bugs we've made.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:30 am

Grafikman
03/24/06 at 10:39 PM
Reply with quote #5

Here's my goop experience from the beginning...

I inherited, by way of direct high markup sale from my 2 oldest brothers, my first ThingMaker™ and molds. It was giant Creepy Crawlers and a few big 8 oz (but mostly empty) bottles of Plasti-Goop™. From there I scrounged the rest of the molds and a Vacu-Form™ from my brothers, and intermittent goop and mold finds from friend's older brothers and at rummage sales around town.

By this time it was the early 70's and I remember the last few times I saw Mattel goop new in the stores. I had to conserve every last drop after a few Crawler, Eeeeks, Mini-Dragons and Creeple People goop baking orgies. After my stash ran dry about '75, I started looking elsewhere for substitutes. My giant CC crab mold fell victim to attempting to melt a plastic milk jug cap in it, and still has chunks of the red Borden's 4% cap embedded in it. I also tried gooey fishing worms, rubber bands, latex paint and bubble gum machine rubber toys, all to dazzling failure. My molds and Maker went dark, banished to a box in the closet, seemingly for all time (The lame thingmaker resurgence in the late 70's by Mattel didn't count as I was in high school and too concerned with boobs to care much about goop during that period).

Then, flash forward to the early 90's, married and with 3 kids. I was walking around the toy section at Evil Empire-Mart, and my eye was caught by a familiar looking package with 3 bottles of - It couldn't be! I feverishly raked the package from the display peg and stared... Yes!! Plasti-Goop™!!! Thank God I was a packrat like my mom and still had all my molds, brought out to Colorado from Illinois years earlier. My kids were aged between 2 and 7, just right for me to introduce them to the wonders of dangerous heat based toymaking. So in carefully rationed sessions, we recreated the joyful days of yore, sucking in the heady aroma of baking goop, populating pens with Creeples and toyboxes with spare Mini-Dragon parts.

And yet, even that was not to last. My kids got older, the goop was put aside for CDs and Playstations, and my stash of goop remained unused. The ThingMakers seem to have deteriorated cords and though I have 3 of them plus my original VacuForm, they're still inoperable. (Although you can go to Evil Empire Mart and pick up a toaster oven for ten bucks. Works great and you can do 4 molds at once!) The Toymax stretchy goop de-evolved to a curdled mess in the bottle and the Glitter goop hardened to an Elmer's paste consistency. The basic color goop still remains viable as far as I can tell, but I haven't used it for a few years.

Until I saw this site. Plasti-craft, yes! Goop alternatives live again! And my current flame is a therapist for special needs kids in the local school system. She wants to bake some up and see how they react to them. The Third Reich of Gooping rises! Until my kids get busy and give me some grandkids. After they go to college. And graduate. And get good jobs. Before they even THINK of having kids...

Graf

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:30 am

Edouglass
03/24/06 at 11:07 PM
Reply with quote #6

Graf I want to thank you,,,, that narrative is great,,, it embodies all that is Goop,,,
Thanx Ed

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:31 am

Grafikman
03/25/06 at 03:26 AM
Reply with quote #7

Well thanks. Y'know I did try to add a certain Dave Barry-ish quality to my tale, lol! I'm just glad there's more people out there besides me who remember the thrill of making these things. Each time the availability of goop comes and goes there's a sense of finality that it may indeed be the last time. Luckily there's always a new generation of kids to be fascinated by the process, and since plastic molding is a daily occurrence in so many aspects of modern life it's not that hard to find the resources to recreate the formula if you really want to. Which, apparently, the creator of Plasti-craft did. Kudos!

Graf

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”