Thingmaker/Vac-U-Form VS oven/toaster oven

Archives

Thingmaker/Vac-U-Form VS oven/toaster oven

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Cowgirlinthesand
08/23/06 at 02:02 PM
Reply with quote #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi - I haven't made creepy crawlers since the 60's/70's and am just now buying up some molds and goop on Ebay. I was shopping for a Thingmaker or Vac-u-form when I noticed that some of you "advanced" regulars talk of cooking your creepies in your home oven. Do most of you agree that this is a superior method? Do you find that the Vacuform/thingmakers are too hot or heat unevenly or pose other problems (besides the burns we suffered at their mercy as kids)? I'm just wondering if I should even bother with purchasing one - but I also worry about taking the fun out of it for the kids. Thanks in advance for your input.

Archives

Re: Thingmaker/Vac-U-Form VS oven/toaster oven

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Edouglass

08/23/06 at 04:33 PM
Reply with quote #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well it is true a bunch of us use conventional ovens,, For the last year or so I used a waffle iron and a digital thermometer,,, I recently switched back to an old 60's oven,,
mainly because it was a bit more safer with my son around making creepies,, but If your kids are gonna really get involved a light bulb type is alot safer,, but they have there draw backs,, like time,, and basically its up to how patient your kids are,,
Not to turn this into a commercial, but,, We have a new style oven available,,, as a start I have one on ebay right now with goop, tools ect,, I have a post up about them with pics,, Hope this helps,, and Have fun with Goop,,

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:48 pm

dr_goop

08/23/06 at 04:42 PM
Reply with quote #3

Since it sounds like it's for the kids(or maybe that's just your excuse) you might want to consider those ovens with safety features if the kids are very young or you think they might need that protection. Earlier today Ed posted a new oven that has a safety feature built in. Jakks/Flying Colors makes a light bulb heated oven with a safety feature too. The down side is that light bulb ovens cook slow and it seems they only can hold one mold at a time. The Mattel Thingmaker and Vac-u-form both heat good and fast but there is no safety feature and still only one at time. If you feel the kids are responsible enough, you might want to consider the toaster oven. It cooks fast, has a temp setting, you can cook 4-6 molds at a time, and you can watch them cook through the window, that's what I use and recommend. I got mine at a thrift store for $2 and use it only for Creepies. But the potential for burns are there. My (ex)wife was against it at first but of course I used the toaster oven with my kids and after explaining it to them they did very well with it for a 5 and 8 year old. I think that little bit of danger made them take it all more seriously.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:48 pm

mjthompson

08/23/06 at 05:33 PM
Reply with quote #4

I'll chime (imagine that)... we use the old Mattel ovens once in a while but the majority of the time we use a conventional oven. More times than not we have 20-30 molds to cook up so it's much easier to throw them on a cookie sheet and do 'em all at the same time.

Our record was 36 at once. We had the three kids in our family and 3 neighbor kids and they went wild.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Cowgirlinthesand
08/24/06 at 12:16 AM
Reply with quote #5

Sorry guys, I was out trying to win an oven and some molds (what a thankless job that is).

You pegged me Dr. Goop. I confess it is I alone that has an unabated urge to once again squirt and cook up GOOP (half of which can probably be ascribed to the sheer delight I feel in rediscovering and repeatedly saying that word!). But you see I've convinced the kiddies that they too want this very very badly. Since I'll be right there alongside them, I'm not so concerned about a safety oven (afterall, if burnt fingertips were good enough for me, they're good enough for my kids).

I'm really drawn to the vac-u-form because it's what we used as kids. I just noticed that you guys seemed to be using everything but - so I thought maybe there was a technical reason I should know about (like they burn up the goop, etc.) before I invest. It sounds like the biggest advantage is that the conventional oven allows you to cook more molds at once (36...egads).

Bear with me - I have a feeling I'll have more questions once my stuff arrives. I'll try to read thru the whole forum beforehand and dig out all of the embedded tips before asking anything stupid or redundant. Thanks again for all of your input.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:49 pm

omnichi
08/25/06 at 01:25 AM
Reply with quote #6

Hey, this is my first post to this message board. I re-joined the Thingmaker world back in May. I bought a pancake hotplate at Walmart for $30. I set it to 350 degrees and about ten minutes later the Goop is cooked. It lets me cook about 16 molds at a time (old Mattel molds, less for the Toymaxx ones). I have a pair of leather gloves/fleece lines which I wear for safety. One little trick I've been using: after the Goop has thickened, I flip the mold upside down on a piece of aluminum foil for about 5 minutes, just to make sure it is completely baked. I also run an assembly line with Goop in all stages of cooking. I guess I'm a little impatient, LOL.

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”