Nickel Plating Thingmaker Molds

Archives

Re: Nickel Plating Thingmaker Molds

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:20 pm

mjthompson

06/07/06 at 10:05 AM
Reply with quote #21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn, I was looking forward to a set of nickel plated detailed CC molds!

Thanks for giving it shot Ed.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:21 pm

omnichi
08/27/06 at 02:42 AM
Reply with quote #22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had been emailing privately to Dr. Goop about an idea I had to make my own molds and now I think I will share with this message board. Twenty years ago, I learned how to make molds to cast tin soldiers. In May this year, I started thinking about the whole molding and casting process concerning Creepy Crawlers. I thought maybe I could make molds by carving steel plates with a Dremel. This is a very slow, hard process I've found. While playing with my Creepy Crawler set this last month making Mini Dragons, I tried some experiments. I found out that tin solder would not melt at the temperatures we use to cure Goop. It became a possibility that I could make tin molds. I then created a primitive tin mold using a wood form and with washers as the object to make a mold of. I poured molten tin into the wood form and made a tin mold. I put this mold on my hot plate, poured in Goop, and made copies of the washers in plastic. I have since made one other mold of a skull using almost the same process. From my experiments, I am now quite confident that I can make tin molds and lots of them, using the techniques I learned casting tin soldiers. The tin molds might have to be thicker than the zinc Mattel molds, but I have found out this week that tin molds will work. In two weeks (after payday, LOL), I will order the materials necessary to continue my experiments. I will keep you informed of my progress. I have felt a lot like Dr. Frankenstein creating his monster, only I probably won't break my mold creating It.

WARNING; If you try any of these experiments at home, please be careful! I actually have had molten tin geysers (700 degrees F) when something went wrong like hot tin hitting pockets of water in molds.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:21 pm

Edouglass

08/27/06 at 09:21 AM
Reply with quote #23

actually there is a hi temp urethane mold making material,, its blue,,, Ill have to look for the site,,its like called start-on or pour -on,, that could be used to make masters to then make the molds,, this way the item can be out of any material,, clay ect,, make the master then make the tin mold from that,, and to make molds thinner,, you have to make a 2 pc master,, front and back,, look at any old mold,, the back is like a non detail copy,,, the back can be made by covering the item reversed with a bunch of layers of tin foil,, building up to the thickness you need for the mold,,
If the molds are not cast thin,, theres gonna be a problem with getting them up to temp and controlling the temp,,
Mold ideas,, bugs and skeletons,, have been done,,,
but,, a Major Matt mason style astronaut and a Scorpio style Alien,, would fit into the theme great,,
back to the master,, I know how to work with urethane..(just dont know how to spell it) I have a bell jar and industrial vac pump,, so maybe Ill work up a master,, and send it to you to cast a Tin mold in it,,

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:22 pm

omnichi
08/27/06 at 10:24 PM
Reply with quote #24

Hi, Ed,

Thanks for the response. I didn't include all the details in my last post, because I didn't want to overwhelm you. Sounds like you already have some of the technical knowledge, so I'll continue. I'd use silicone rubber as the master mold. You are right, you can start with just about any original material, clay, wood, metal, etc. I get my silicone rubber from the Castolite Company in Woodstock, Illinois. You add a hardener to a liquid base and it cures in about 24 hours. I have made two and three part molds, just as you described in your post. I agree about the tin mold needing to be as thin as possible. The primitive ones I created took forever to heat up and did so unevenly. I'm drilling some holes in them to see if that helps, but really these molds were just to see if tin would work. I envision creating molds very similar to the Mattel molds we all love, since I'm more familiar with those.

As to mold ideas: I always wanted more parts for my Mini-Dragons, especially a longer tail, pointy horns, arms, etc. I thought a whole line of large microbes might be interesting, amoeba, parmecium, etc. I have already thought of a few unique monsters that might be fun. Or some mythical monsters, Gorgons, Hydras, Medusa, Sphinx, etc. I am not necessarily limited to the size of the original Mattel molds, so maybe "huge" 12 inch skeletons (I'll never afford the Goop) or life-size shrunken heads. . . I could probably make two-piece tin molds for casting 3-D action figures. I vaguely remember Major Matt Mason. I could do it, but we'd have to be careful about copywrites. Astronauts and aliens of a generic sort would be fair game and would be fun to make. I never got the Army men molds, but I can see their attraction, so maybe more like these would be fun. I can sculpt with clay and would like to see what I could achieve.

I'm going to a convention this week, but I will order silicone rubber soon and let you know how it works out.

Another Thingmaker fan,
Joseph

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:22 pm

GaryR
08/30/06 at 12:13 PM
Reply with quote #25

I do tumble polishing with corn cobs or news paper. Corn cob is more agressive than news paper. I do the tumbling in a poly-plastic cement mixer.
Ordered some of the super-plastic for use in my homemade molds. Unless you have a fairly nice home machine shop, you more than likely won't be interested in making molds.

GaryR

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:23 pm

mjthompson

09/01/06 at 11:37 PM
Reply with quote #26

Gary, I've tried a tumbler that is suppose to be used for gum ammo shell casings but I didn't have very good luck. I used both walnut and corncob media. I ran them through for 2 days and they still didn't look that great. I think the tumber was too small. I'd guess it holds 1-2 gallons of material but I don't think the molds would turn over like they should so the media could work properly. How big is the tumble you're using?

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:23 pm

GaryR
09/02/06 at 04:49 PM
Reply with quote #27

My tumbler/mixer is 1 1/2 cubic feet. Acualy a guy at work gave me the barrle part and the gear/pully. I welded up an "A" frame and yoke to complete it. The other day I acualy used it for a cement mixer as it was intended. Don't let that get around. It'd ruin my reputation. :-)

GaryR

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”