Nickel Plating Thingmaker Molds

Archives

Re: Nickel Plating Thingmaker Molds

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:05 pm

thingmaker

02/22/06 at 03:45 PM
Reply with quote #11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by artboy

Since I've now totally gotten back into my Thingmaker creations, I'm definitely interested in getting the molds I've purchased back to a better condition. I'd prefer not doing it myself, unless the process is pretty foolproof - which it sounds like it may not be. My next step would be to find a plater in the New York area. If you guys go in on a kit to experiment with, let me know, I'm in.

If it turns out that it's a relatively straight forward process, I might try it myself.

John

John like everything else it's a process, but you have to understand what you are getting into before you buy into it. The kits are well made, but if you're not into DIY then I would suggest that you look for a professional plating house to do it for you. If you mention that you want to DIY, they may turn there noses up, and say that you can't due to the toxic nature of the chemicals THEY USE FOR PLATING. A lot has changed in the plating industry there are safer chemicals to use that are bio degradable. Check out the Caswell site and see for yourself. Plating is a somewhat involved process that has to do with timing, the cleanliness of the part, and the type of metal you are trying to plate, but the kits take the guess work out of the process. You can do it in your garage safely if you're into doing this kind of stuff.

Efrain

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:05 pm

mjthompson

02/22/06 at 04:07 PM
Reply with quote #12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cool Efrain. Please keep us informed on how it goes. With a 3 gallon setup you should be able to do quite a few at a time. If your results are reasonable do you plan on offering a service to have molds plated?

I'm curious how the molds are "suspended" while being plated. Will they somehow hang or doesn't it matter if they make contact with each other and the sides of the bucket?

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:06 pm

artboy
02/22/06 at 05:49 PM
Reply with quote #13

Thanks for the info Efrain. I'm starting to see this process involves much more then I'd want to get involved with. I'll keep checking back here to see how your testing goes.

Thanks again,

John

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:06 pm

dr_goop

02/24/06 at 05:59 PM
Reply with quote #14

I found the pdf at the link below informative.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jgallego ... lating.pdf

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:07 pm

Edouglass

03/03/06 at 11:17 AM
Reply with quote #15

I just dropped off 2 damaged molds to have them attempt to plate them,, at Pioneer Meteal Finishing,(856) 694-0400,,, We had a long discussion about plating these and if they are pure zinc then it would be easy,, if they contain any aluminium,, then they will bubble,, and he said if they were pure zinc, they would have oxidized along time ago,
he said there are about 3 other steps that will have to be done before these could be nickleplated,, and one one of the steps would include Nickle Cianide,, and he is sure that one of these home kits wouldnt include that,, anyway I left him 2 molds to experiment on, he will work on them in the next week or so and let me know what happened,, we didnt discuss price because he wants to see what has to be done first,,
But we also talked about polishing them and he told me that tumbling them in a corn medium, would polish them up to a nice shine,,, my work has tumblers but we always use them with a course stone meduim to take edges off of stuff,,, Ill look into getting this corn polishing meduim and see how that works,,

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:17 pm

mjthompson

03/03/06 at 02:30 PM
Reply with quote #16

I've tried a tumbler method with corn and with walnuts. The results were inconsistent. The face of the mold polished pretty well but the molding areas didn't cleanup very well and the tumbling media tended to stick in the smaller areas. Also, I tried doing about 10 molds in a medium size tumbling bowl and I got some wear where the molds rubbed together... not much but there was some. I did get a new tumbling solution to add to the media so I'll try again later this spring when it get a little warmer (the tumblers in the garage).

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:18 pm

makenplay

04/05/06 at 05:39 PM
Reply with quote #17

Has anyone had any luck experimenting with the nickel plating? I would love to have a mold set or two with that shine. Can you imagine a skeleton mold like that?

Efrain, did you end up buying that kit from Caswell?

Archives

mjthompson

05/04/06 at 09:20 AM
Reply with quote #18

Efrain, have you had a chance to try plating? Ed, did your local plater have any luck? Any updates?

Archives

Edouglass

05/04/06 at 12:39 PM
Reply with quote #19

I didnt forget,, just dealing with health ect,, I havent pushed the guy at plating co about this,, especially since he wasnt charging anything for test pcs,, but since you asked I just called him,, he was waiting till he got some other plating jobs in to do them,, and he just got a job in so he will be doing them begining of next week and will give me a call,,, so as soon as I hear something I will post all the details,,,, sounds like if it works,, this guy is gonna want to do alot at a time,,, so we'll have to work that out,,, Ed

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Edouglass

06/06/06 at 02:27 PM
Reply with quote #20

Final word from Plater,,, He took so long because he waited till he had an order of the same type so he could just throw in my molds and not charge me,,, He did that last week and they didnt work,, Plain Nickle plating doesnt work on this type of metal,, it s acombination of aluminium and zinc and the standard process makes the molds bubble and flake,, so much for 2 big bugs molds,,, there are other processes that can be done but they are extremely costly,,, so much for nickle plating,,,,
I have sent a message to Dr Goop about formulating a mold cleaner,, that contains a release agent,, that kinda cleans and pretreats molds,,, we'll see what happens there,,

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”