new guy: one step further, the mold :-)

Archives

new guy: one step further, the mold :-)

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:34 pm

GaryR
08/27/06 at 01:53 PM
Reply with quote #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This all sounds very interesting , but I will very likely go one more step. I just have to try my hand at making a mold. I'll post the results when I have some.

GaryR

Archives

Re: new guy: one step further, the mold :-)

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:35 pm

dr_goop

09/01/06 at 07:14 PM
Reply with quote #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Gary, How are you making your molds?

Archives

mjthompson

09/01/06 at 11:42 PM
Reply with quote #3

I would also like to see what you have done or will be doing. I'm sure everyone here could come up with a pile of molds they would like to see made!

Archives

GaryR
09/02/06 at 04:33 PM
Reply with quote #4

Keep in mind, I've been doing stuff like this for a very long time. I'll try not to leave out anything important.
Mainly there are two ways to go about it. One way is with a computer and a cnc router. This way is complex and/or expensive. The other, way as it happens, you are already discussing here. Electorplating. The master is craved out of wax and then coated with a conductive coating of graphite. You then plate this heavly with copper and melt the wax out. The result will be too thin to do much with so you have to pour lead or zinc for a backing. (You mite try silicone for a backing, but I haven't tryed that yet.) Shuzam! One each custom mold.
I started with a search for " bronzing baby shoes" to find the coductive coating. The rest I have on hand from one or more of my 57 other hobbies. If you'er going to try plating a mold, this won't give you much pause for thought. Questions ?

GaryR

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:36 pm

dr_goop

09/05/06 at 09:42 AM
Reply with quote #5

Gary, was checking out your website and I saw you were doing lost foam casting and I have a lot of questions. Do you use a special kind of sand? Do you have problems with the molten aluminum oxidizing? Is it pure aluminum or an alloy? I want to make a 3D casting with a closed mold as opposed to an openface mold. Any suggestions?

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:36 pm

GaryR
09/05/06 at 09:55 AM
Reply with quote #6

The project is moving forward. I found what looks like a nice graphite spray at graphitestore.com They don't seem to mind selling to individuals. It was like $9 or $10 a can. I found the copper sulfate at the hardware store down the street, $8.00 a pound. The sufuric acid(battery acid), I got from the auto repair shop that sells batteries. A freebe, they do my car repairs. Carefull with the acid, it's nasty. I keep a 5 galon bucket of soda water next to the bench before I even open the acid. Rubber gloves, face sheild, ect. are a must. And yes, this is all done in the shop, not the house.
The equipment to do this is barrowed from my PCB activity. The 1 gallon aquarium kit from walmart I've been using should work just fine. So far, so good.

GaryR

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:38 pm

omnichi
09/06/06 at 02:23 AM
Reply with quote #7

Hi all,

I'm back from my convention (Sci-Fi/Fantasy). I will order silicone rubber this week. MJThompson wrote that there were still many molds that everyone would like to see made. How about everyone who is interested write to this message board with their list? I have lots of ideas of my own, but would like a survey. If I make a silicone rubber mold, I could potentially have hundreds of castings from it. So, it makes sense to do something many are interested in.

Sincerely,
Joseph Jester

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:39 pm

GaryR
09/06/06 at 08:14 AM
Reply with quote #8

Gary, was checking out your website and I saw you were doing lost foam casting and I have a lot of questions. Do you use a special kind of sand? Do you have problems with the molten aluminum oxidizing? Is it pure aluminum or an alloy? I want to make a 3D casting with a closed mold as opposed to an openface mold. Any suggestions?

The sand for lost foam is common "play sand" from Home Depot or Lowes. It need not be very clean to work.
To keep the aluminum from oxidizing too much add a few pinches of table salt to the melt and skim the slag off.
You'er going to get into some time and expence issues here. To get a better picture of what is involved search with "backyardmetalcasters", there's a chat room on irc.chatster.org #Thefoundry . I'm on there evenings on weekends. Also there are the yahoo groups: hobbicast and castinghobby, ect.
I cast both in lost foam and with a 3d mold called cope&drag method. The sand for this is totaly different from lost foam. There is far too much to this to get into it here in the goop forum. if we do, a new theard would be best.

GaryR

Archives

JCat
09/06/06 at 05:30 PM
Reply with quote #9

Joseph - Sounds exciting. You know what would be not only fun, but actually useful? Holiday molds (Christmas, etc.). How about Mythological Creatures? Or some abstract objects that can be put together to make interesting art pieces?

Anything but bugs.. lol!

Archives

omnichi
09/07/06 at 01:08 AM
Reply with quote #10

JCat,

By Mythological you mean: Sphinx, Centaur, Minotaur, etc? These would probably be a profile, like on the Parthenon, a bas-relief, flat on one side with the figure on the other?

By Holiday you mean: Santa Claus, snowmen, reindeer, etc? they would probably also need to be in profile.

I had thought of Abstract objects also: circles, squares, triangles, etc. then you could combine them into a mobile or some such.

Thanks for the response,
Joseph

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”