new guy: one step further, the mold :-)

Archives

Re: new guy: one step further, the mold :-)

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:40 pm

GaryR
09/07/06 at 08:07 AM
Reply with quote #11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the sugestions. I was looking for a starting point. I'll be taking the first shot at this this weekend. It takes 18 to 24 hours to build up a plate thick enough to use for a mold. The frist try will be in the one gallon tank. Though it's sounding like it's a goood thing I have 20 gallon process tanks if needed. BTW: if anybody else is looking for info on this process, search with electrotyping or electroforming. I found a ton of stuff.

GaryR

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:40 pm

mjthompson

09/07/06 at 09:32 AM
Reply with quote #12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the idea of holiday based molds as well, Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Easter and especially Halloween.

Shapes are a great idea, not only for mobiles but for younger kids to learn (we have a 2 1/2 year old that would love them). I think it would be great to take it another step and do numbers and letters. I know my kids would easily be tricked into learning if they could MAKE the tools they were using. ;-)

I'd love to see more dinosaurs similar to the Jurassic Park molds ToyMax did, they are my personal favorites!

For construction type sets, faces, Mr Potato Head, 2-D construction sets for making maps (similar to the rugs you can buy for use with Hot-Wheel type cars), 2-D train sets, and on and on.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:41 pm

JCat
09/07/06 at 12:54 PM
Reply with quote #13

Joseph,

Yes, for Mythological I had what you mentioned in mind, with others like Medusa or a Cyclops? I'm thinking along the lines of the old Ray Harryhausen adventure movies actually.

You mentioned a Sphinx, which brings up another idea: An Egyptian theme.

And for Holidays, things like a tree, a wreath, a wrapped gift, even a gift tag - with a solid square surface surrounded by a fancy border. Then people can actually use a sharpie and fill out the to/from. These type of molds would really give a feeling of accomplishment as they'd actually be put to use.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:44 pm

Edouglass

09/07/06 at 01:16 PM
Reply with quote #14

I have a mold subject I would like to have made but I think its not gonna be universally liked by everyone here,,, and I will have to do alot of work to come up with a master,, but what Ive always wanted to make out of Goop was,,, a Major Matt Mason style astronaut,, with space tools,, and for an Alien Major Matt Masons pal Scorpio,,,
I probably could come up with masters made from Polymer clay,, could cast molds from these out of urethane and then make wax masters from that,,, I know everyones trying to come up with a common subject and I love the xmas ideas,,, I was having a business card mold made at work on a cnc mill,, so I could make goop business cards,, so the goop gift tag is a cool idea,, Im adding pics of MMM and Scorpio,,
Plasti-craft Hot Pink and Flourecent Purple are almost perfect match for Scorpio,,
Attachments
archive4.jpg
Last edited by Archives on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:46 pm

artboy
09/07/06 at 06:44 PM
Reply with quote #15

Oh man... I haven't posted here in a while, but the idea of new custom molds is too good to be true!! Gotta throw my 2 cents in...

Although I have and love all the original sets, my favorites and the ones I use the most are EEEEK and Mini Dragon, both the classic sets and the 90s versions. I combine the pieces from all 4 sets, which give me an huge amount of combinations - BUT, for me, I can never have enough - I'd like to come up with a dozen more bodies and dozens of new wings, heads, legs, etc.

The other set I use a lot, is one that's probably used the least by everyone else (I'm just assuming that - I could be wrong) and that's Creeple People. I make these and embellish them, and started using them as package toppers on gifts - they've become a real hit - I now have people asking me if I sell them. There are only 6 heads along with one set of arms and one set of feet. This is the classic set I'm talking about - the 90s version I'm not into at all. Would definitely like a new set of heads and other arm and leg poses.

The Christmas/Holiday idea is awesome - as well as Mr. Potato Head type molds - very cool

I hand paint most of my stuff, and add other things, feathers, cloth, buttons, etc. I attached a small pic, so you can get an idea.

This is a really great idea. If there's a collection started to fund this project, let me know, I'm in for sure.

Thanks,

John
Attachments
archive5.jpg

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:54 pm

JCat
09/07/06 at 10:35 PM
Reply with quote #16

John -

Oh man those are absolutely fantastic samples! Beautiful work! I agree about Eeeks/Mini-Dragons. As a child, those were the two sets I got the most use out of. Now that I have them again (and just got Dr. Goop's Plasti-Craft), I'm ready to approach this from an adult artistic perspective. lol

By the way, just the other day I was wondering about the type of paint I could use. By chance, will acrylic paint hold up? I have a load of them from my art set.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:54 pm

artboy
09/08/06 at 06:38 AM
Reply with quote #17

JCAT,

Painting on this surface has been a real challenge. I've tried everything from regular acrylics to glass paint to water based enamels. Regular acrylic don't work well at all. You can put multiple layers, but you can peel it right off. The glass paint and water based enamels work well, but I found it to be kind of sticky feeling even after it's dried. I then tried an acyclic paint that's meant for metal or outside use - like on cement. I've been having pretty good luck with that. This is the craft type 2oz bottles of paint that most of the manufacturers make like, Duncan, Deco Art, Apple Barrel, etc. I find if I put a base coat of this paint in white or black, I can then go over the plastic surface with regular acrylic paint, and it adheres just fine.

I'm still experimenting - it's all trial and error. There are actually some acrylic painting mediums - like varnishes, that I've been working with too - get some pretty neat effects - I'll post some add'l samples here soon, so everyone can see.

John

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:55 pm

Edouglass

09/08/06 at 06:48 AM
Reply with quote #18

I just use plain old testors acrylic model paint,, I havent done much on regular plasti-craft but on Superplastic,, it works great,,
Ed
Attachments
archive6.jpg
Last edited by Archives on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:56 pm

Edouglass

09/08/06 at 07:18 AM
Reply with quote #19

How about also for mold ideas,,, 60's tin type robots? master for these could be created real easy,, I just found these pencil sharpeners at a 5 below made me think of Ding-A-Ling robots I had as a kid,,
Ed
Attachments
archive7.jpg
Last edited by Archives on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:56 pm

omnichi
09/08/06 at 11:44 AM
Reply with quote #20

Dear All,

Thank you for all the posts. When I made my first new Creepy Crawler mold, though primative, I was just as excited as you all seem to be. My friends who were helping me thought I was crazy! When my parents gave me the Mini-Dragon set for my birthday in 1969, I had no idea how this toy would influence my life. I made my first mold by pressing a coin into Goop in the Gangly-Dangly face mold and then casting "coins" by pouring melted gold and silver crayons into the mold (3rd Grade teacher must have wondered who was stealing all her crayons). In high school, I learned to make plaster molds to cast tin soldiers, then graduated to silicone rubber molds in the 1980's. When I joined a Live-Action Role-Playing-Game in 2002, I started making coins by pouring molten tin into Creepy Crawler molds (don't do it; it will eventually ruin your Creepy Crawler mold!). I also made silicone rubber molds to cast coins for the LARP group. All this started with Mini-Dragons way back!

I now have a technical question. From what I've read on this board, it seems that most people no longer use Thingmaker heaters to cook their Goop. I'd like to hear about all the various methods. I use a pancake hotplate that I got at Walmart. I'm asking because if I make molds that are designed to the original size, then the castings will be limited to that space. If most people are using other cooking methods, then the molds could be much larger. I don't want to go too large or the cost of the Goop will become too much.

I will respond to your various mold ideas in a separate post, as I'm a little pressed for time today.

Joseph

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”