new guy: one step further, the mold :-)

Archives

Re: new guy: one step further, the mold :-)

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:56 pm

Edouglass

09/08/06 at 12:57 PM
Reply with quote #21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lately Ive been using a 60's oven,,but before that I used a waffle iron and a digital thermomter to tell when it get up to 325F to save time,, prop it open with a fork,,you can fit up to 3 molds on there,, I have thought to take it apart and machine the waffle surface flat,, someday,, Ed

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:57 pm

JCat
09/08/06 at 04:34 PM
Reply with quote #22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artboy - thanks for the tips. I'm going to take a walk to one of those mega home depot-like shops. I'll have to experiment myself.

Ed- Very cool character! Nice paintjob.

Joseph - I have four ovens total. The original thingmaker, 2 toymax sets (the ones with the clip on fan), and one Easi-Art from Ebay that's hasn' been opened yet though I've had it for months. I'm probably going to dump the 2nd unopened Toymax set on Ebay shortly, and keep the other three kits.

Yeah, it's kind of psycho but they were all impossible to pass up ebay sales.

Primarily I use the original Thingmaker. It cooks my molds in less then 2 minutes, though I have to use one of the other kits for Toymax-sized molds which is annoying.

- Joe

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:57 pm

artboy
09/08/06 at 05:24 PM
Reply with quote #23

I definitely like to use a toaster oven. I can put 6 of the older molds, and 4 of the 90s molds in with no problem. Following the tips I picked up from Dr. Goop's site, I heat the oven to like 345, let the molds cook for a few mins then turn it off and let the molds cool completely, in the oven. I have several of the original ovens - 2 regular thingmaker ovens and the peanuts oven - they're in like mint condition, so I'm kind of keeping them as collectors items. John

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:58 pm

omnichi
09/08/06 at 11:48 PM
Reply with quote #24

So far it sounds like people are using the original Mattel or Toymaxx ovens more often than I thought. My Mattel ovens all burnt out long ago. I still have them, but they don't work. It will be a little more difficult for me to make the molds designed so they work in a Mattel oven, but I think I can do it. As I remember Retro-Hobbies has an adapter to let Mattel molds work in the Toymaxx ovens, but there is no way to get a Toymaxx mold to work in a Mattel oven; therefore I will make molds that look like the original Mattel molds.

I thought it might be fun to start with the Holiday theme. So, Halloween: a pumpkin, a large skull, a ghost, a vampire, Frankenstein's monster, a mummy, etc. I thought just busts might be fun. Any thoughts? For Christmas: Santa Claus, a snowman/woman, a wreath, a gift label (might have to do letters as a separate mold), etc. Any thoughts?

I'll start with the pumpkin and see how that goes, since pumpkins are my favorite part of Halloween. I had a thought: if I did the mold like a Gangly-Dangly you could design you own face. I'll think about it and see if I can work out how to do it.

Off to sculpt,
Joseph

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:58 pm

makenplay

09/09/06 at 10:43 PM
Reply with quote #25

Hey Ed and John, great Creepies you made! I always enjoy seeing the creations others make.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:59 pm

makenplay

09/09/06 at 10:52 PM
Reply with quote #26

Joseph,

Can't wait to see the molds you come up with. Too bad it's so complicated, or I would love to try it myself. Something I've always wanted to do. Glad you picked a Halloween theme. Very cool! Are these going to be the "Lost Fright Factory" molds?

Once you make a master mold, how difficult is it to re-produce a mold from that one?

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:59 pm

makenplay

09/09/06 at 10:55 PM
Reply with quote #27

Oh yeah, and regarding ovens, I use the following:

Toaster oven - most of the time

Thingmaker - once in a while

Light bulb ovens - rarely

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:00 pm

omnichi
09/10/06 at 01:05 AM
Reply with quote #28

Once I have a master mold, I don't think it will be difficult to make reproductions of it. Yes, I suppose the theme would be the "Lost Fright Factory" molds. These were always my second favorite set of molds anyway. I could make FX molds to make more "wounds", i.e. bullet holes, scars, warts, etc.

Joseph

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:01 pm

GaryR
09/10/06 at 06:32 PM
Reply with quote #29

The first test mold is going ok. It's been in the plating tank for 2 1/2 days now. It working ,but it's.....incredably......slow. Next run will be in a 2 gallon tank so i can do 6 molds at a time. I got the 2 gallon tank at WalMart. It says Sterlite on it and it has a 2 handle camlock lid that comes with it. It's "supposed" to be a storage container. I've never been accused of using something for what it was intended.
I 'm plating at just under 2 amps. The power supply is 13 volts through a resister bank. Gas burst agitation is an aquarium air pump. The antode is some copper wire I striped the insulation from. Remember the mold is hooked to the - terminal an the antode is hooked to the + terminal. :-) I'm running the process at roon temp..
It'll likely be outa the tank in the morning. From there i have to melt out the wax and pour molten zink for the backing. ( I have a blast furnce) Hopefully , the graphite will be gone in pouring the zink.
btw: I use a regular oven to cure goop. Most of the critters I make end up refridgerator magnets. :-)

GaryR

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:01 pm

JCat
09/10/06 at 06:54 PM
Reply with quote #30

Hey - good luck with that Gary! Let us know how it turns out. By the way, what did you sculpt out for your test mold (character/object I mean)?

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”