new guy: one step further, the mold :-)

Archives

Re: new guy: one step further, the mold :-)

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:07 pm

Kilroy
09/11/06 at 04:18 PM
Reply with quote #31

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have been rolling around the idea of making my own mold for months. Having very little expertise, I was just going to make a silicone mold and try to fill it with something like zinc, tin or aluminum. unfortunately my metalurgy isnt what it could be. Have also been hampered because I live in a relatively remote area where many of the raw materials and expertise is not readily available. My first pick of a project would be a tank to go with the fighting men. Probably best suited to superplastic.

On a separate note, I have recently been collecting quite a few vintage toys and entertaining the notion of having a little local toy show, including an opportunity for kids (and their boomer parents) to come and make something with the thingmakers.

BTW: have been using original ovens, didn't care much for the slower light bulb sort, particularly the ones with the safety feature that locks the oven until it cools. #!&#!#&*!!!! Open up, I got stuff to cook!

Just recently picked up a toaster oven for $5. at a garage sale but haven't had the chance to try it out for goop yet.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:07 pm

GaryR
09/11/06 at 09:46 PM
Reply with quote #32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<
Quote:
Hey - good luck with that Gary! Let us know how it turns out. By the way, what did you sculpt out for your test mold (character/object I mean)?

For the first try I cheated for the sake of speed. I found a candy mold without a © on it. Used mold release for candle making, and cast the piece in wax . I "welded" it to a wax pad with a soldering iron. This is taking a bit longer as I can't work on it today and tomorrow. Had a death in the family.

To be honest to a fault, I've never done this particular operation before. I didn't expect much of a challenge, and so far, there isn't. I thought it was interesting though . The plating action starts at the electrode contact and spreads across the face of piece. I'd have thought it would plate more evenly overall.

GaryR

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:08 pm

GaryR
09/11/06 at 09:56 PM
Reply with quote #33

Kilroy,

You might search out MicroMark, and search their site on this. You might not have money to buy from them, but read the product discriptions to get an idea of what goes with what. This is one of my little tricks I use to learn a new skill/trade.

GaryR

Archives

omnichi
09/12/06 at 01:19 AM
Reply with quote #34

Hi, Kilroy,

I get my silicone rubber from Castolite. You can get their phone number to order it from their website at Castolite.com The owner is great about answering questions about applications. I think if you pour molten zinc or aluminum into silicone rubber, you are going to burn up your mold quickly. I have made two tin Creepycrawler-like molds so far and don't seem to have any problems. I've had them on my hot plate at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes with no melting of the tin so far. I have cast tin soldiers using silicone rubber molds and still have molds that made hundreds of castings and they still work after 25 years.

Good luck and have fun,
Joseph

Archives

omnichi
09/12/06 at 01:27 AM
Reply with quote #35

Hey,

I really liked the photo of Major Matt Mason and his alien friend Scorpio. I had forgotten that I had MMM as a child. Thanks for refreshing my memory! Would you want a mold that was 2-D like Fighting Men? I think with time I could learn to do 3-D molds, so maybe we could do more detailed Action Figures.

I think I'll start with the Halloween theme first and work my way into the more complex stuff later.

Joseph

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:09 pm

Edouglass

09/12/06 at 06:23 AM
Reply with quote #36

All the mold making sounds great,, but my imagination isnt what it used to be,,, Can we get some pics?? Maybe of each step?? Thanx Ed
ps,, MMM and Scorpio,,, would be great if it was a 3d mold like fighting men,, but Ive been doing test subjects in clay and doing them 2d like new tysle batman ect,,,

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:09 pm

GaryR
09/12/06 at 09:10 PM
Reply with quote #37

Again, I recomend MicroMark.com In their search box put silicone or casting. Try both, one at a time.Watch for the links to video instructions. I did and then, just now ordered casting silicone. Thier's is good to 600 degrees. Btw: that is where I bought my 7x12 mini lathe, about 5 years ago. Wish they'd had the 7x14 lathe then :-).

GaryR

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:10 pm

omnichi
09/13/06 at 01:22 AM
Reply with quote #38

GaryR,

Hey, I checked out Micromark.com You are right they have everything! Thanks for the new place to spend all my money.

Joseph

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:10 pm

omnichi
09/13/06 at 01:31 AM
Reply with quote #39

Edouglas,

Yeah, I'll send pictures when I figure out how to use a digital camera. I'll also provide step by step instructions. I fully intend to send a few sample molds and/or castings as I get going. I can certainly send some sample castings from the molds I've already created. I have some Goop 3 inch diameter skulls from my first working mold. As I've said, it is by no means as detailed as I hope to achieve when I really get going.

I've curious. What kind of clay are you using for your models of Major Matt Mason? If you use epoxy putty or Sculpey, I could make the molds for you. If you're using modeling clay, you had better make the molds for yourself, since it would be hard to ship without getting damaged. If you do have to make the molds for yourself, I can also describe in detail how to do it.

Joseph

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:11 pm

omnichi
09/13/06 at 01:46 AM
Reply with quote #40

Edouglas said: "I was having a business card mold made at work on a cnc mill,, so I could make goop business cards,, so the goop gift tag is a cool idea"

I noticed your comment way back and forgot to respond. Making a business card mold for casting Goop would not be that hard. I could probably make one without even making the silicone rubber masters. I have sheets of metal in my garage. What would you want the card to say? You can let me know at omnichi1962@yahoo.com

Joseph Jester

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”