new guy: one step further, the mold :-)

Archives

Re: new guy: one step further, the mold :-)

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:11 pm

GaryR
09/13/06 at 06:03 PM
Reply with quote #41

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the results on the first try at making a mold by electroforming , go to <http://www.bpsinet.com/gizmo/mold05.html> If you can "bear" it. :-)

It works and it don't work, Sorta. I'll try silicone molds next.

GaryR

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:12 pm

GaryR
09/13/06 at 06:21 PM
Reply with quote #42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A goop business card? Hmmmmmmm,.... well, as it happens(snicker), I know of a type of "goop" polymer, that cures by uv lite. It's normaly used to make rubber stamps.
The way it works, you make a negitive image with something like print master and print out on a clear sheet which they sell at Staples or Office Depot. You make a little rectangular dam on a piece of glass with what looks like wheather striping. you then fill that with the polymer"goop" and lay the negitive on that and a second piece of glass on top of that. Shove the whole thing under the uv lamps for about 6 minutes. Peal the whole thing apart and clean up the "stamp" with dish soap and a tooth brush and your ready to go. The polymer comes in an 8oz. bottle for about $13. Bet you'll never guess who has tryed it. :-{) Course, I'd never try to start anything , ......not me. Search with (making rubber stamps).

GaryR

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:12 pm

Edouglass

09/13/06 at 06:46 PM
Reply with quote #43

T answer a couple comments ,,, the goop business card,, was gonna be business card size, of course,, in Alba acript say Pasti-craft,and in Americana say Retro-hobbies,, but it wasnt to make a rubber stamp,,, the mold itsself would be the card,, and then make a Goop card from it,, probably put a magnet on the back ,, use rainbow goop to show off the goop,
I have been making Alien Scorpios out of Sculpty polimer clay,,, but so far I dont like the results they look too clay like,,, so I have been slowly working on drawing it in 3d in autocad,, but having went to school yrs ago for autocad my 3d skills are limited,,,
then I could beg work to make an aluminium master mold from that,, (cnc mill) then cast a eurithane copy then a wax copy,, ect,,, but I have 100,000 other things Im working on at the same time so,,,, I have a guy who has been waiting for my master of the Hot Wheels Twinn Mill to cast resin copies for Sizzlers bobies for a year now,,, But I am really syked about what Im seeing going on with the mold casting,,,
Oh,, what are the ballas resisters for??? Ed

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:13 pm

omnichi
09/14/06 at 01:09 AM
Reply with quote #44

GaryR,

Neat mold making! I hadn't even considered the angle you used. Too bad the copper is such a good conductor that the Goop burns.

Were you considering making molds directly of silicone rubber, pouring Goop into them and heating it? I tried this and the silicone is such a good insulator that the Goop never cured. I guess it might if you used heat lamps or a toaster oven which would have heat coming from above the open face mold. Not sure how long the mold would last under those conditions.

I ordered rubber this week. I'll start sculpting my originals and will be ready to cast silicone rubber master molds in a week or so. Then I'll make molds out of tin. Hope to have more news soon.

This thread is getting long, should we start a new one?

Joseph

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:13 pm

omnichi
09/14/06 at 01:17 AM
Reply with quote #45

Ed,

I'm going to work on an idea I had today for your business cards. I'll make a rectangular mold just a little bigger than a business card. I'll pour clear Goop into it, heat it up, then place a paper business card onto it, and then pour colored Goop onto that. I don't think the paper will catch fire (Fahrenheit 451) and maybe a simple way to make business cards.

I know what you mean about being busy. I have so many projects too and I work full-time and I'm trying to find a new job and I'm trying to get registered for school. This week I haven't had any time for Creepy Crawlers so far and I'm getting a little depressed.

But just keep trying,
Joseph

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”