Molds & Business Cards & Stuff

Archives

Molds & Business Cards & Stuff

Postby Archives » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:15 pm

GaryR
09/14/06 at 09:30 AM
Reply with quote #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, a new thread is in order:-).

Another process I was needing a reason to try is electro etching. With this one you carefully paint a piece of metal and scratch the letters and graphics through it to bare metal. This then goes into ye ole tank with the metal hooked to the positive this time. The setup is much like the plating setup. A little acid can be used , but a few drops of vinigar would do it. Just enough to make the water more conductive. Mostly this process was to make parts out of very thin metals, where cutting wouldn't work very well. (See hobby #44 ) :-) We'll see in a few days. :-)

GaryR

Archives

Re: Molds & Business Cards & Stuff

omnichi
09/27/06 at 02:13 PM
Reply with quote #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've started sculpting an original form for mold making. I have a nice pumpkin sculpted on a block of wood. I used epoxy putty to make the sculpture. Next I will start making the silicone rubber molds. My plan is to make both negative and positive copies of my sculpture in the silicone rubber. I will let you all know how this goes.

I had thought for my next mold to make a large detailed skull with flames around it. The skull would be about the size of the Mattel Shrunken Head.

Continuing the Halloween theme, I thought my next mold would be the head of a mummy, again about the size of the Shrunken Head.

After these I'll switch to a Christmas theme.

Joseph

Archives

GaryR
09/30/06 at 07:35 PM
Reply with quote #3

Etching didn't work out very well. In the mean time my order of silicone showed up. The silicone is fun stuff to mess with. I've done a wax copy with a silicone mold. I'll try the wax copy with lost wax casting soon. I did find out the molds are a zinc alloy (potmetal). There are 10 or 15 different alloys and I'm not sure which one will work best. If somebody wants more info on them search with "za-3, za-27 or zamack".
Back to the shop :-)

GaryR

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:16 pm

omnichi
10/01/06 at 02:07 AM
Reply with quote #4

Gary,

Are you going to make your molds with a zinc alloy (pot metal)? I gather that you are going to use a lost wax process. Would you describe how you are doing this in more detail? I've only done a little lost wax casting a long time ago and am very interested. I'll certainly be willing to share information about what I'm doing once I have something to show for my efforts. Work has been interfering with my hobby time

Joseph

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Edouglass

10/07/06 at 07:09 AM
Reply with quote #5

New Mold Ideas,,,, I would love to see the mattel Colorforms line available in molds,,
need to shrink the originals down in size,,, but a whole line of aliens would be cool,,
SEE pic if youve never heard of these,,, there kinda a precurser to Major Matt Mason,
I think the colorforms name kinda throws people off sometime,,
Update: I just found out that there where companies that made 2" knockoffs of these,
Im gonna try and pick up a few,, we could cast right off of these,,, Ed
Attachments
archive19.jpg
Last edited by Archives on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archives

pattigoop

10/13/06 at 11:21 PM
Reply with quote #6

I hadn't heard of Mattel Colorforms before. very cool Ed. what year did they come out?

Patty

Archives

Edouglass

10/14/06 at 10:39 AM
Reply with quote #7

This is taken from the Big Red Toy Box,,,,
These beautiful bendees from 1968 were the only figures ever made by the Colorforms people. The Aliens, and Mattel's Sea Devils are generally the next level for folks who have completed their Major Matt Mason collections. Like Sea Devils, Colorform Aliens are very hard to find without wire breaks, damage or melts to the rubber, and with all of their accessories. If the first series wasn't enough of a challenge for collectors, there is a next to impossible second series of figures titled The World of the Future. There are rumored to only be a few of these prototypical sets in existence.

Ive just won 2 sets of 2" copies of the Alien line to make molds from,,, so stay tuned,,
Ed

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:18 pm

pattigoop

10/18/06 at 09:52 PM
Reply with quote #8

Cool!...this is all new to me.

Ed, are you planning on making molds for yourself or to have manufactured to sell?

thanks

Patty

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:18 pm

GaryR
10/21/06 at 07:01 PM
Reply with quote #9

I kinda got side tracked with remodling the shop. The investment is 60% casting plaster(paster of paris) and 40% play sand from Depot or Lowes. I'm going to try a tall juice can for a flask as this will give a litte more "head" pressure with the gavity casting method. The zinc alloy is a mix of what ever I could find. I was planning on doing a belt buckle at about the same time. I'd pour the metal just after burnning out the wax, while the flask is still hot. Not at all sure when I might do this as like a few others, work kinda gets in the way.

GaryR

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:19 pm

Edouglass

11/03/06 at 12:54 PM
Reply with quote #10

OK,,, Mold Idea,,, Right now you can get a strobe light plastic skull in Corn Pops cereal,,, Its like a 2" high plastic Pirate skull,,,
I would like to see a mold of just the front of the face,, Pirates are big right now,,
this master has lots of detail,, you could easily pull a eurethane mold off of theis to make a wax master and go from there,,,
get a box of Pops and check it out,,, Ed

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”