Sometime bubbles in finished product

Archives

Sometime bubbles in finished product

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Ghostwheel
01/22/07 at 06:10 PM
Reply with quote #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've read about cleaning the molds with vinegar, and have done so with some of my molds. However, I seem to have a sometime problem with bubbles. I use a toaster oven, set at 350, and preheat the oven. I usually cook the thicker pieces for 6 minutes. I have both new molds (Toymax/Jakks Pacific) and old Mattel molds. Here is what happens: I make a Creeple People head. Comes out fine, no major bubblage. Cool it, remove the head, about 15 minutes later, make another head with the same mold, but maybe a different color goop. This mold is completely dry, completely cool. The second time, the goop bubbles, sometimes overflows and often leaves huge bubble pockets in the head. The next time, it comes out fine again. Have had similar experience with the ToyMax dinosaur mold. I know my oven will fluctuate between 325 and 375, but I have yet to track it down to any specific temp, goop color or type, or mold. Again, this is a SOMETIMES thing, and I am trying to figure out what might cause this on a sporadic basis. (Yes, I shake my goop, but I shake it for each item) Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Archives

Re: Sometime bubbles in finished product

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:33 pm

mjthompson

01/22/07 at 07:29 PM
Reply with quote #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bubbling problems I've had were relate to either cooking at a temperature that is too high -OR- water residue left in the molds during cooling or cleaning . Do you happen to be cooling the molds with water?

The other problem I sometimes have is a gray residue on the first few Creepy Crawlers made after cleaning with vinegar/

I just remembered we also had problems with older (mid 90's) white goop. It would bubble however we cooked it. Although we may have been using a temperatuire over 360 at that time so that may have been the problem.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:33 pm

Edouglass

01/22/07 at 07:39 PM
Reply with quote #3

I would have to say the times Ive had bubbles was from moisture,,, after I cool a mold down with water and then remove the item,, I place it back in the oven to dry out,,, then let it air dry on a pc of metal, (SS sink) I do this if Im about to reuse it but definatly before I store it away,,,
when using vinager dont use full strength dilute it with water,,, and rinse it all off completely,, The first time after cleaning items will look grey,,,,Vinager removes old goop by also removing a thin layer of metal,, and if not nuetralized it can keep going,,,
Turn old goop bottles upside down into another bottle,, use up all these left over amounts to use after cleaning your molds,,, I actually was working on a mold cleaner that would leave a silicone residue so future goop wouldnt stick,,,

I havent got around to this yet,, but if you can find someone with a tumbler, tumble them in walnut shells,,, and then use a dremel tool to polish them,,,

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:34 pm

Ghostwheel
01/31/07 at 12:47 AM
Reply with quote #4

Thank you for the responses. The temp COULD be too high for the specific goop I'm using (I seem to get different results with different colors at different temps). I'm thinking it's not water because after I cool the items and removed them, I put the mold back in the oven to make sure they are dry, then pull them out and let them sit for 10 minutes or so before starting the next item. It also occured to me that I might not have gotten the goop mixed up enough, or maybe too much. I did discover that I could put a thin coat of goop into a *new* old mold, cook and remove and that often gets rid of any old gunk in the mold. Didn't do much for the hornet with the crayon someone had melted into it, though....

To polish the molds, has anyone ever tried jewelry polish? Like jewelers rouge and a dremel?

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:34 pm

photogzick
02/01/07 at 12:05 AM
Reply with quote #5

I used to have this problem all the time. I used to cool my molds off by dipping them completely in water...THIS IS A NO NO! I found that if I dip the mold in water only halfway, then I don't get water on the top where the goop is. If you dip the mold all the way, you cannot use the mold again until it is completely dry. This can take a few days before they are useable again. It took me many years to figure this out. Now I have no problems.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:35 pm

Ghostwheel
02/01/07 at 04:52 PM
Reply with quote #6

Photogzick,
Just making sure I get this. Are you saying that if I got water on the top of the mold while cooling, it might bubble, even if I dried the mold in the oven and let it cool before making the next one? I'm not adverse to this being a possibility, just checking because I HAVE sometimes gotten water on the top/in of the mold while cooling, but since I dried them in the oven, never thought it would be an issue.

Thanks.

Archives

Edouglass

02/01/07 at 05:58 PM
Reply with quote #7

Ive had this problem from time to time,, and even though I know the water has evaporated,, I dont let any water get on the top of the molds now,,,
maybe its not just the water,,, you know even though youve dried it up,, its left minerals, ect on the surface?? Next experiment would be to cool molds with distilled water???

Archives

photogzick
02/01/07 at 07:57 PM
Reply with quote #8

That's right! I noticed that even if I dry the molds real good, they will make the goop bubble when used again on the same day. So now I just dip them in the water half way until you hear the sizzle stop. Then you have to let them cool for a few minutes before you pull your creation out. Of course this applies to the old Mattel molds only. They are the only ones I use. You will notice, on the BLACK cooling trays, Mattel tried to remedy this by putting gaurds to stop the mold from being dipped all the way. On the original, ORANGE, they didn't have this. I hope this helps.

Nick.

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”