newbie questions

Archives

newbie questions

Postby Archives » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Goopsicle

11/13/06 at 09:32 PM
Reply with quote #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey there fellow goop afficianato's!

I came here from google, i was looking for a cool goop forum. You know somewhere to swap molds, tell stories, maybe even learn some new techniques. However, i am curious about the practices here. Is it normal practice to bash other goopers? I thought this was supposed to be a fun hobby? Honestly I'm slightly reluctant to begin interacting with the forum. Seems to me, and I'm not trying to step on toes here, that the owner of this retro hobbies, is being a bit slanderous, or libel more correctly. Perhaps in the cutthroat world of business economics this is acceptable. Just because this toolguy is not on your side, you deem him "off limits", and your partners who cooperate and help you, are made to shine. Say it isn't so! I realize this is Mr douglass's forum, so he is privy to his own opinion. This seems to be more of a community forum, so i feel the biased bashing of goop community members has no place. Perhaps I'm being to hasty. So am i being unfairly judgmental and i should give this place a chance, or should i steer towards a more friendly hobby-based community?
Thanks for readin!
let me know if i should stay and try it out, or if i should get lost.
Stephen
aka
Steve

Archives

Re: newbie questions

Postby Archives » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Edouglass

11/14/06 at 07:09 AM
Reply with quote #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know your absolutly right,,, this is supposed to be a fun place to share ideas, stories, ect,, I guess at the time I took the rantings of a sick indevidual too seriouse,,
and I hope I didnt turn off too many good goop people,,

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:35 pm

omnichi
11/14/06 at 02:00 PM
Reply with quote #3

First, it is not slander or libel, if it is true. I'm not a lawyer, but I did look at a law dictionary. From the facts that I heard, Toolman did practice bad business tactics and does send mean nasty emails to people he doesn't like. This happened not just to Ed at Retro-Hobbies, but to several other people. For us to talk about this, to receive warning of true facts, does not, I believe, constitute slander or libel.

Second, if you look back at all the posts on this forum, you will find all kinds of helpful advice about making things with Goop. People who post are friendly and helpful and encouraging in general. Back to my first point, we were talking about Toolman because he was impeding the hobby with his actions, discouraging people. We were trying to make a bad thing better.

I believe that Ed has removed all the posts about Toolman. So, I guess the matter is closed. I found those posts helpful because I learned about problems that happen on eBay and AOL and how to deal with them. I would hope that this forum will continue to have helpful postings about Goop in all of its many aspects, since I have come to depend on all of your advice to help me further advance this hobby.

Sincerely,
Joseph Jester

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:36 pm

Edouglass

11/14/06 at 02:52 PM
Reply with quote #4

and another point I have tried and tried to explain to my friend is,, Most of the people on this forum try to find molds at the lowest price, most use a convection oven, there home oven or a waffle iron,, and use Plasti-craft goop or any other goop that is low cost and readilly available,, Not harming any old goop or Classic Mattel set,,,
What he does is buy Mint un-opened or barely used sets, and tries to resell them at collector prices,,(Just like he feels what I am doing is hurting the hobby, I feel that holding onto mint sets and reselling them at rediculusly high prices isnt helping the hobby at all) even though the two are the same avenue, they are two different things,, If I ever wanted a mint set to display I would contact my friend there and see what he has,, but that isnt what Im into,,, I play with Creepy Crawlers,, I enjoy the hobby,,, If I find I need a missing piece I try to manufacture it myself,, and I share these products with my friends,, and so far I have found alot of goop people on here,, but as far as this whole matter is concerned I have blocked all avenues of communications between my friend there and me, and since the point was brought up that the title of this forum is fun with goop, I will contain my posts within that Idea,, Thanx Ed

Archives

Goopsicle

11/14/06 at 06:44 PM
Reply with quote #5

Im glad to hear that the forum has been directed in the proper direction. Im not saying that ed was lying about the whole toolman incidents, merly stating that from a first time visit basis, without knowledge of either party's point of view, i felt it was possibly libel. Seeing as how this is ed's bisness's website's forum, saying things to harm another's sales to favor in order to favor your own without just would be libel. However it seems you both are in different niches of the goop world. Niether your action or his are harmfull to the goop community, seeing how there is both the collector side, and the hobbiest side. Be that as it may, i see both toolmans side to this argument and yours. Simply put if the consumer wants a scarce/rare piece for his or her own collection so be it, but be expected to pay for it. Like wise toolman cannot expect you to sell original goop for the prices that you sell your off brand goop. Seems a simple misunderstanding of both parties blown out of hand by rude comments out of anger or frustration. I suppose its best you no longer continue communication with this individual, and do not respond or attepmt contact with him.
Enough time has been wasted on this already, haha.
Now who knows a good technique for strenthing a "3d" goop model for a project im working on? Needs to be for use in small, discreet, yet flexable manner..
Anyone?

Archives

Edouglass

11/14/06 at 08:33 PM
Reply with quote #6

Got more details on what your working on?
Its funny you mentioned stretching,, I just saw a show about how if you make a foot impression with an adult human foot,, then make a casting from that, then make a polyeurethane mold from that, soak the poly in kerasine,, it will spell up, then make another plaster cast from that, and keep doing this, over and over,,,,,
you can enlargen the size of the foot cast 10X or more,, and when your done you will have a casting that will have all the correct details of a human foot but huge,,,
and that children is how they make convising Big foot plaster casts.

Archives

Goopsicle

11/14/06 at 08:42 PM
Reply with quote #7

Im attemtping to make a large ball, with hexagonal braces. Just as an experement, to see what i can do. Id like it to be able to be tossed around, but without metal bracing inside. I was thinking coat hangers, but again, who likes to be hit in the face with coat hangers right?

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:37 pm

omnichi
11/15/06 at 01:33 PM
Reply with quote #8

Are you using the Creepy Crawler molds or how are you making the pieces? You could do some pieces in Goop and some in Super-Plastic. The Super-Plastic will have more structural strength. Not sure if I'd like to get hit in the face with Super-Plastic though. Retro-Hobbies and Dr. Goop both have the Super-Plastic. I used it in some of my Mini-Dragons (feet and tails) to help them stand up better.

Joseph

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Edouglass

11/15/06 at 03:30 PM
Reply with quote #9

and of course,, use SuperPlastic for Creeple People Feet,,, Infact if you dont have SP to match the face and arm colors,, then use a layer of regular Plasti-craft cure it then add a final layer of SP,,, Also we have SP Clear that can be added to reg Plasti-craft to make any cosistancy you require,,, Ed

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Goopsicle

11/17/06 at 04:24 AM
Reply with quote #10

Oh this is a total custom job, im just seeing what the limits of the goop/my skills are. I made my own molds outta some discarder piping. Circular tubing cut into sections and halfed. Will the clear just thicken the goop or will it make it harder. Im starting to think of rubber stripping in the center like a candle wick. Te only reason im doing this is because if i can make a durable ball, then i can make much more intricate pieces for models.

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”