Hi All- (New Arrival But Not a Goop Noob :-)

Archives

Hi All- (New Arrival But Not a Goop Noob :-)

Postby Archives » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:56 pm

JCat
08/27/06 at 01:06 AM
Reply with quote #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad I stumbled upon this place. I just go into a heavy duty retro phase a few months back, and have been collecting all types of toys/games I had back in the 60's/70's. My all time favorite though, had to be the Creepy Crawlers series - the one product that I used the most as a child. Today, I'm collecting all sorts of Mattel & Toy Max molds, goop, etc, along with Hot Wheels (another favorite), and many vintage board games (anyone remember Green Ghost?).

Anyway, just wanted to say hello to everyone, and I'll be making some purchases after my short vaction trip. Can't wait to try out some of these new goops- especially the glow stuff!

Glad to see I'm not the only one in their 40's that's getting back in to this! I miss those days...

Archives

Re: Hi All- (New Arrival But Not a Goop Noob :-)

Postby Archives » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Cowgirlinthesand
08/28/06 at 10:24 PM
Reply with quote #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes! I remember Green Ghost. My 3 sisters and I used to sequester ourselves in the pitch-dark vestibule of our house and play Green Ghost. Even though it glowed bright green in the dark, we were always getting up to open the door to see what the heck we were doing!

I've asked many people my age if they remember this game and it seems that not many people had it. Glad to come upon another GG lover. Do you remember Camp Granada with the broke-down car and the icky-sticky green bugs? "Hello mudda hello fadda"....that was another fav.

I recently acquired an old Spirograph thru Ebay and after much experimentation I've found the perfect pinpoint markers that work with the discs (the original pens are all dried up). I've been making some awesome looking cards with them on watercolor paper. I send them to people and they can't believe I did it with the Spiro (my mom thought they were computer generated; they look a bit like a lithography because I color them in after I Spiro the design). [And now the kids in the neighborhood always come over and ask if they can make Spirograph cards!]

Oops, sorry to have strayed from the creepy crawler theme. I got carried away there reminiscing.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:57 pm

JCat
08/29/06 at 12:06 AM
Reply with quote #3

Hey Cowgirl - that's hilarious you mentioned Camp Grenada. I actually got Green Ghost AND Camp Grenada on the same Christmas. After a few days, I added the rubber bugs from Camp Grenada, into the Green Ghosts "Pits" so players would have more to feel there way through, besides those black feathers and plastic bones.

See, I had a thing for rubber bugs even before Creepy Crawlers came to market - LOL. Once Mattel introduced the Creepy Crawler line - I was in 7th heaven. I'd be in my room at night cooking up bugs -- brought them to school, got in trouble for putting the cockroach (using black goop) on my teacher's desk. Then I made bags of mixed combo bugs for my 3 nephews...when ever I visited them.

I then went on to get all the expansion packs (except for pickadoos and fun flowers), with my favorite of course, being Mini-Dragons.

Today I own a good deal of them from Ebay - INCLUDING Fun Flowers, though I have a ways to go to complete my collection. Right now I'm liking the idea of these new goops..

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:58 pm

makenplay

08/29/06 at 09:44 AM
Reply with quote #4

Hey Cowgirl,

What type of markers did you find that work for the Spirograph? I used to love making those designs.

John

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:58 pm

Cowgirlinthesand
08/29/06 at 12:11 PM
Reply with quote #5

JCat - I know exactly what you mean. The main reason we played those games was for the icky, sticky, scary stuff involved (made my heart flutter just to open up the box and see all those goodies!). I never thought either Camp Grenada or Green Ghost were on par with say Monopoly or Masterpiece - but the prospect of touching gooey bugs or playing a glow-in-the-dark game was enough to sustain us.

Makenplay - I use Stabilo's point 88 fineliner 0,4 mm pack of 20 colors. I find they are the best tip for doing the actual spirographing. I've tried finer and thicker: If you go too fine your Spiro line will have skips in it; too thick and your line will bleed and look sloppy. The only problem is, they aren't waterproof. Also, I've yet to even find them at my huge Pearl Paints store and I fear they no longer sell them in the US. If you go online you can usually buy them from Britain. However, I think Schwann might make a comparable one available here; I just haven't bought a pack yet. I've tried a lot of loose purchases by a trillion different companies and none are ever as good as the ones I use.

I also advise investing in a 30 piece set of ultra-fine Permanent Sharpies. Not fine enough for the Spiro outline (in my opinion), but excellent for doing all of the coloring in. At first I thought I'd wasted my money on these but then I realized they are a necessity and color in much smoother than any others I've tried.

If you would like photos of examples of the Spirographs I make with these pens, just let me know and I'll email them to you.

Sorry again for being off the subject...and long-winded.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:06 pm

BoomerBoy

08/16/07 at 10:34 AM
Reply with quote #6

Hello,

Speaking of the Green Ghost Game *see photo's I was missing a few bones so I made some from molding clay, fired them, and painted w/ glo paints. The Green Ghost may-not be the classic level game of say...Monopoly or Clue, Sorry, Risk etc etc but it sure looks cool! Creepy Crawlers should provide a few snakes for this game.
Attachments
archive32.jpg
archive33.jpg
archive34.jpg

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”