First time experience tonight with Creepy Crawler, input?

Archives

First time experience tonight with Creepy Crawler, input?

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:50 pm

Dave

01/06/08 at 02:32 AM Reply with quote #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well my friend and i sat down and heated up my Vac u Form machine to try out my Fighting Men molds for the first time.
A post Christmas 50% off set me up with a stock of Goop. Tommorow I think I'll go back for the glow in the dark.
Pros and cons.

WOW. This was so cool. Makingt my own bendie! I used floral wire and the second figure came out pretty good. The first my friend made and did'nt tap it enough so there was a big bubble which pushed out a lot of the goop.
I did clean the mold with vinegar and water then hair dryed it. Also I did not use distilled water. So which one of these caused all the tiny bubbles? It looks a bit like hes made with glitter.

Also I see now why the shrunken head has a back piece. All the thin pieces like the belt etc burned up before the deep pieces were finished. Mainly the Back pack and flame thrower back pack. They were burned on the underside and the top still gooey when I tried making them alone.
I imagine the same thing will happen when I try the barrel.
So how do I do this? Why didnt the tiny walkie talkie burn in the man mold? was the heat spread out more because its a two part mold?

I'm really looking forward to getting some of the original bugs and the giant mite as soon as I win an auction. I'm worried thier thin legs will burn before the bodys cooked all the way through.

Archives

Re: First time experience tonight with Creepy Crawler, input?

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:51 pm

Edouglass

01/06/08 at 10:02 AM Reply with quote #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know life is weird sometimes, I got up this AM and there was a message from a new Goop guy about cleaning molds I replied to that email first then,, checked the forum and here was this new post which contained basically the same question about cleaning molds, This was my reply to Ted:
Cleaning molds,, actually theres been discussion on the forum about this,, but,, mix up some vinegar and water, say 30 to 70 %, soak the molds in it in a plastic bucket for an hour or so, then remove them rinse with water, any bits that is left on them will need to be picked off using a pin. Now even if you sit them in the sun they still seam to retain water or vinegar residue, but the first time and some times the second time you use them the Goop will bubble, but then after that theyl be ok,, Dont use anything stronger than the vinegar water solution,, I put some in a acid wash at work and they started to melt,,
Now polishing them,, If you know some one at a machine shop you can have them tumbled in walnut shells,, If youve never heard of that it will sound funny,, you also could polish them with a small buffer wheel,, Dont sand blaster or anything like that,,, But Ive cleaned some pretty groady molds and they worked just fine,,

What Dave mentions also is that the first pcs looked metalic, this is small bits of the aluminium that has come off,, and this bubble thing has happened everytime I clean a mold,, also after you make a bug, dip it in water to cool, remove bug, I then place the mold back in the oven to dried it out, then let it set to dry. I guess also the distilled water rinse is really a good idea too,, that reg water could leave something on the molds,, but as Dave notes even after doing that he still had a bubble,,
Ed

Archives

Dave

01/06/08 at 08:50 PM Reply with quote #3

So what do I do to keep the shallow parts from burning while the deep parts are still cooking?
Both my attempts at making Flame throwers failled. Not only was the connected hose and gun and shoulder strap fried but the bottom of the tanks were burnt and the top wasn't even done yet.

Archives

Nyrath
01/08/08 at 09:48 AM Reply with quote #4

Sometimes I try preventing burning by doing the mold in stages.

In the EEeek's mold with the drill nose, the tip of the drill would burn. So I used Patti Detail goop to make a dam across the neck. I then filled the thick body section, and the dam kept the drill dry.

I could then cook the body until it was set.

Then I could fill the thin drill section, and just cook it long enough to set but not long enough to burn.

Alternatively, I have read that some people cook the goop until they can see smoke rising, then they quench the mold in water (even though the goop has not yet set). After the mold is cool, they heat it again. Repeat until all the goop has set

Archives

Dave

01/08/08 at 06:09 PM Reply with quote #5

Does the deepest part of the EEK head burn though? The outside skin?
I'll try doing it in stages but the outside of the backpack "skin" burns while the inside is still gooey.
What about using a regular oven?
Anybody done that to deal with this problem?
I take it the Patti detail goop is thicker. I'll have to get some.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:52 pm

omnichi
01/09/08 at 12:42 AM Reply with quote #6

I cook by Goop on a pancake griddle I bought at Walmart. I set the temperature to 350 degrees Farhenheit. I let it cook until the deep parts of the body are nearly done. I then flip the mold over onto a piece of aluminum foil several layers thick and let it cook for about a minute. I then take the mold and aluminum foil off of the griddle and set them aside to cool. I'm pretty sure the aluminum foil acts as a lid to keep the heat in and finish cooking the Goop. I very rarely burn the Goop doing things this way. It took me a while to get all the timing right. This Halloween I made about 400 bugs for Trick-or-Treats and only burned 5 or so.

Joseph Jester

Archives

Dave

01/09/08 at 01:41 AM Reply with quote #7

The foil trick is a good idea.
Tonight I did a few more. I took the mold off before it was done and it mostly finished on its own. Plus I didn't get any burnt. I lost some color on orange and yellow deep parts.
I'm still getting bubbles Tiny little one that make my fighting man look like hes made out of soda water. This is the third casting without rewashing I guess Ill just keep going.
That Trick or Treat idea is thoughtful and fun, but probably expensive.
I think Goops low in sugar and calories so the parents probably liked that!

Archives

chuck
01/16/08 at 08:49 PM Reply with quote #8

Hi,
If your critters are burning from the direct heat of a Thingmaker or Vacuform, you are probably using Toymax\Jakks goop. That goop doesnt seem to tolerate the direct heat from a Thingmaker. Use any kind of oven at 325 with toymax goop. The Kitchen stove, a cheap counter broiler oven is the ticket. For kids, use the oven that comes with the set. If you want to use a Thingmaker, use Dr. Goop or Patti-goop. It will tolerate the direct heat of a Thingmaker. Also, if you are doing Mini Dragons or Eeeeks, Dr. Goop and Patti-Goop are the way to go, because it sets up a bit firmer, and the assembly will be easier and much stronger. Using a lid or Foil cover with a Thingmaker will also help to keep the thin and shallow areas from burning.
Hope this helps, Chuck

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:53 pm

pattigoop

01/17/08 at 12:33 AM Reply with quote #9

Hello CC fans,
I bake my creepies on a hot plate with an old skillet or griddle on top of it. You can bake several molds that way. I put a clear glass lid on the top of the molds to hold the heat in. Never had one burn that way, and you can watch it bake.
Happy baking,
Patty

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Dave

01/17/08 at 08:03 AM Reply with quote #10

If I ditch the Vac Form maker can I use Pattigoop in the regular oven?

I was disappointed and not getting the vac uform to work well, get a good seal, a tight impression.

I bought a bunch of goop at walmart on clearance. Go check . I paid $3 each for 3 packs, 2 pack glow, and the two mold set with little goop.

The new mold didn't fit the vacuform well. I ended up finishing by using a heat gun on my first try. I like the oven idea, but with the price of gas being what it is I might try Pattigoops idea.

I have cast four Fighting men so far and am still getting tiny little pockmarks allover. The new molds I just got don't do that.

I am DYING to win a bid on the classic creepy crawler mold and grab a giant crawler Mite. I want to buy a big load of clear goop and try the bugs with guts idea I read here.

Also I want to try Dustin2Dusts tip. She brushes in a little goop lets it cook then paints more on top she got some great effects on her Butterfly skull pieces.

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”