First time experience tonight with Creepy Crawler, input?

Archives

Re: First time experience tonight with Creepy Crawler, input?

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:54 pm

chuck
01/17/08 at 04:54 PM Reply with quote #11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yo,
You can use Pattigoop/Dr.Goop in a regular oven, any Toymax/Jakks or Thingmaker, works in all cases. Toymax use the oven type heaters.
I put a cookie sheet in the oven upsidedown and you can put a dozen molds in at once if you feel like it. Watch the color change from the shallow part of the mold to the deepest. When the deepest part looks like the shallow, its done.
Chuck

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Edouglass

01/18/08 at 07:20 AM Reply with quote #12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea, Ive been trying to follow this "Burnt Goop topic" and really dont know what the problem is,, I use either an old 60's oven or a waffle iron,, with Plasti-craft goop set a digital timer and for small items it takes 5 to 6 min and larger items no more than 11 mins to cure,, never get anything to burn,, infact I make rubber treads for Mattel Sizzler Hotline trains with goop and there really thin and they dont burn,,
It must be the Goop your using,,
and there was mention about gray flakes in the goop after cleaning a mold,, that is because using an acid like vinegar takes off a layer of metal,, be carefull about not using too concentrated a solution and flush it off after cleaning,, I tried sometime ago experimenting with a goop that contained silicone to try and use it to clean a mold and leave a residue that would make goop come out easier,,,

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:56 pm

Dave

01/19/08 at 06:42 AM Reply with quote #13

No it's not grey flakes its a lot of tiny surface bubbles which on the right color goop look like its got glitter in it.It looks popmarked by dozens of little holes, but it didnt happen in the brand new never used molds I bought.

I'm going tgo get a stong light and a magnifier, I may just have to take a dremmel with a polishing brush and clean the insides of the mold.

I think The comment that Vac U forms too hot for modern goop is where its at. Hmmm, And I still havent got it to vac u form properly. Maybe its time to sell.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:56 pm

dr_goop

01/19/08 at 05:09 PM Reply with quote #14

Dave, your surface bubble problem using the old molds is due to traces of the metal oxide on the surface. The metal oxide catalyzes the breakdown of PVC in to ordinary vinyl and liberates a gas (HCl) in doing so. This can be a problem even after using the vinegar bath. Don't use the vineagar bath twice or you will really risk damaging the mold. My suggestion is exactly what you have in mind, a polishing tool or some sort of mild abrasive plastic brush.

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Dave

01/19/08 at 05:40 PM Reply with quote #15

Thanks, I think you're right.

I used a magnifying glass and couldn't find marks on the mold itself.
Then I looked at the different casted fighting men to see if the marks were coming out at the same places.

What I noticed is there's bubbles THROUGHOUT the see through pieces like my purple guy. THAT'S what gave it the look of having glitter suspended in it. It doesn't show up as bad on the blue man because hes more opaque.

So my next questions are 1 should I dremmel it with a wire attatchment or a cloth buffer and 2 I'm STILL trying to buy some vintage bug molds off eBay, how should I clean them to avoid this?

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:58 pm

dr_goop

01/19/08 at 06:49 PM Reply with quote #16

I would go with the cloth since the wire could damage the mold. The bubbles in the middle could be a number of things, even just trapped air.

Archives

Edouglass

01/19/08 at 06:54 PM Reply with quote #17

Lets pin down,, what Goop are you using? I tried a Goop once that had nothing but bubbles,, Im sorry but you just dont find these problems with Plasti-craft Goop,,,
If you dont have it,, then get some,,,

Archives

Dave

01/19/08 at 07:08 PM Reply with quote #18

I'm using some goop I bought at walmart on a after Christmes clearance.

I know its a mold problem because I also bought one of the new mold two packs and poured up a beetle. It wouldnt fit my vacuform properly, I cooked the bottomand topped it off with a heat gun.

The main pont is I have no bubbles on this new mold casting of a beetle just on the vintage fighting man ones. And as I said theyre not just surface pock marks or bubbles theyre INSIDE the pieces.

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”