Cleaning, plating, here we go again,,

Archives

Cleaning, plating, here we go again,,

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Edouglass

02/13/08 at 09:07 AM Reply with quote #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know everyone had a thing for the Chrome plating idea, I even had 2 molds sent away and destroyed, I think we all had images of nice shiny chrome molds,, but really the point is to fix, seal, preserve and make a better surface for Goop to release from,,
So I found a new product called TUFRAM, Ive contacted them and told them about our requirements, I think the thing is, as with anything like this, to get a good price you have to buy bulk,, so if it works with our application, then we are gonna have to organize to send all our molds in some what of a group, maybe the first step in security would be everyone buying a cheap and inexpensive hand held etcher to scribe an identification # on each mold, but b4 anyone does this we have to come up with a coded system to represent each person,, but first things first let me hear back from them , see if I can send a sample for a test and we'll go from there.

Archives

Re: Cleaning, plating, here we go again,,

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Edouglass

02/13/08 at 09:08 AM Reply with quote #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.magnaplate.com/pdf/tufram.pdf
a PDF link of TUFRAM

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Edouglass

02/13/08 at 12:23 PM Reply with quote #3

This is the reply I got, but I like kicking dead horses, so I sent him a letter back asking could we atleast try a test mold,Edward,Thank you for your interest in General Magnaplate. After reviewing your inquiry, it does not appear that our coatings would be a viable solution for you. Because of the age of the mold and the unknown alloy of the aluminum, there is a significant likelihood for the molds to get damaged during processing.The total coating thickness will range from .001" to .0025" (half penetration into the base metal and half build, this thickness could effect the details on your molds. We will also have to clean the mold also risking damage.Because of the above issues, molds we coat typically are new where the aluminum alloy is known, cleaning is less of an issue and the molds are cut taking the coating thickness into account. If you wish to discuss your application further feel free to give me a call.Thank you,Michael Hauptmann

Archives

Postby Archives » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Edouglass

02/13/08 at 05:50 PM Reply with quote #4

oh well,,,

Edward,A TUFRAM ultra thin would not hold up. It was used for very specialized situations. Please be aware that we do charge for coating test samples. You will need to pay before we start processing the molds. If you were to send us a mold for test coating you will be charged at a minimum $250.00. This is our minimum processing charge. The cost for coating your molds could be more. We will still charge you for the processing of the mold even if the coating does notwork or the molds are damaged or destroyed. I suggest you contact MicroMark http://www.micromark.com/. They may be able to sell you a coating that would better serve your needs.Thanks, Mike

Return to “Archives of the FUN WITH GOOP forum”